On Friday, I get to fly back to the 712 for 11 whole days, and I couldn’t be more excited!!! I love home more than anything in the world for a lot of reasons, but I also left for a reason. When I was home a month ago for just a couple days, it made me want to move back to Shelby County and live there forever. I felt that way a lot in college when I would come home for a weekend. But most of the time, when I stay for longer than 3 days, I remember why I left. I’m always happy to have such a wonderful place to visit, but I always realize that it’s not the place for me long-term.
Still, it’ll always be my favorite place in the whole world, and the next four days could not pass soon enough. So here are the top 10 reasons I can’t wait to fly back to the Hawkeye State on Friday:
- My parents will do my most favorite thing ever and say things like, “Here, we haven’t seen you in a long time – let us pay for lunch.” UHHHH OK. Let me tell you, I’m going to rack up as many lunch dates in 11 days as possible. Get ready, Ma and Pa.
- Currently, I do all of Kirk and I’s laundry (which I should actually probably be doing right now). Mostly, I do it because I don’t pay very much in rent, but I also do it because it’s one of the few things in life that he’s really, really bad at. (Like, he’s actually a very horrible laundry-doer.) But when I go home, my mom will morph into “Kaelly’s-Life-Is-So-Hard” Mom and do all of my laundry. (That’s my most favorite mom she morphs into.)
- There will probably be some yummy treat waiting for me when I arrive in Shelby really late Friday night. (AHEM, and if you weren’t already planning to make a yummy treat, this is me requesting one, Mother.)
- Speaking of treats, the #1 Best Fried Pickles In The Whole Wide World are made in Avoca, Iowa. (I have the authority to write about this because I pretty much order fried pickles everywhere.) I don’t know what Old Main Street Grille does to those pickles, but they are freakin’ fantastic. (One time, my friend even gave me the recipe to make them at home. I tried it, and they were horrible. In fact, I almost burnt down a whole kitchen because of that recipe.)
- I get to go to church with my family and (hopefully) meet our Pastors’ 8-month-old baby. (I don’t know if you read this or not, Pastor Rebecca, but I’m practically flying home with the sole purpose of meeting Baby Isaac. I mean, you probably know since I’ve “liked” literally every single picture you’ve ever posted of him, but I thought I should say it out loud anyway.) (He’s perfect.)
- I’m excited to see Rhett because he’s probably becoming one of my closest friends in the world (but mostly I’m just excited because I know he probably has snacks in his room that I intend to “borrow”).
- I’m excited to see Reilly because she’s probably becoming one of my closest friends in the world (but mostly I’m just excited because 9 times out of 10 I can make her do things for me solely by annoying her).
- Omaha is one of my favorite cities, and I get to spend all day on Monday in Omaha going to doctor’s appointments because I haven’t been home in a while. To some, this wouldn’t sound very fun, but it’ll probably also consist of shopping and a lunch date (any takers?). Also, last week my mom morphed into previously stated “Kaelly’s-Life-Is-So-Hard” Mom and made the appointments for me even though I’m a grown 21-year-old woman with a degree and the knowledge and ability to make a phone call.
- IT’S SWEET CORN SEASON.
- I’m also genuinely really, really excited to get to spend over a week with my friends and family and my friends’ families. They’re all the greatest people I know, and next week is going to make me a really happy person because I get to be around them constantly.
I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m a really lucky gal to have so many wonderful things to come home to (even if my parents will role their eyes through half of this) (but I bet they still buy me lunch).